Monday, September 20, 2010

Heroes and Villains

Every hero in every epic story has the villain he is fighting. There is no story without good and evil. But I wonder if sometimes we focus so much on the worst villain that we forget about his little obstacles he sends to trip us up along the way. We get so set on defeating him that we lose sight of where we currently are at.

The past couple of weeks, I have been bouncing back and forth, enjoying some of the times and having a rough time with others. I think a big part of that is due to where my focus was. The times that have been rough are the times where I am focusing on back home and the good times there and the people I care about. And so I focus on stopping it, assuming it is my enemy seeking to devour me with thoughts of home and family. But the turnaround doesn't come when I have set my focus on defeating him. The change in attitude and the good things coming around happens when I focus on what Dad has for me right here, right now. When I have stayed in the present, and allowed myself to focus on what I have going on in my life currently, I have enjoyed (almost haha) every experience I have had.

For example, I have gotten so frustrated with a student in my class. She speaks almost no English, can't understand the majority of what I say and, as a result, struggles to know what to do in class. Whenever I start thinking about what it is going to take to help her the entire year, I just get discouraged and wonder why Dad even put me in this situation in the first place. But when I focus on just getting her through each lesson, like I did today, she has great success and we worked together helping her understand all of the content she needed to work on. The successes came when I focused on the current, and not on the whole upcoming future.

Every hero has a villain. Where there's good, at least for the time being, there will always be evil. The villain waits for me everyday. I may not be a hero, but I have a Dad who is helping me focus on the here and now...


These are my stories...

No comments:

Post a Comment