Tuesday, October 19, 2010

It's Been Such a Long Time...

Back after a few weeks of rest and contemplation. There was so much to tell from these past weeks! I'm not one to deviate from the main theme of this blog though: In every story, the main character will see one or many things that will change the way they see the world. It will establish a new way for them to act based on what they have seen. For me, that was found in my trip to Beijing. There were many sights, both in the people I met and the places I visited, that have changed the way I see the world. Here's a recap:

-ISW Conference: I met some good people and had some of the greatest times since coming to China at this conference. This conference brought together everyone from the 6 ISC Schools in China. It was wonderful meeting new people, getting to learn about the different schools, and getting to take part in sessions where I learned how to be a more effective teacher. As an added bonus, I had the honor of sitting under my advisor, Dr. Baumann, in 6 sessions about critical thinking. I learned so much from him in Cedarville and learned still more in the 3 days of sessions. Finally, I had the chance to reconnect with some awesome people from my time at PFO:



-Olympic Park and Beijing: This was honestly one of the top 2 highlights of my time in Beijing. Most of you know I am a big sports guy, so to be at Olympic Park in Beijing was a highlight for sure. Getting to see the Bird's Nest and Water Bubble was incredible and, yes, it is every bit the architectural masterpiece that everyone says it is. Also, I was able to go to an Outback Steakhouse! Many of you won't appreciate an Outback Steakhouse as much as you should until you cannot have it for a few months. Anyway, here's my best shot of the Nest:



-The Great Wall: One of the Seven Wonders of the World and easily the best experience I had in China, my time at the Great Wall was one I will never forget as long as I live. There wasn't anything that happened specifically, but seeing the sight of that wall that seems to stretch on forever was so mind blowing. I kept thinking I would eventually see where it stops, but it was a never ending search. I literally caught my breath when I got my first look out across the land with the Wall stretching across. It was beautiful, and is a sight that, if you can, you absolutely should go see someday (yes, David and Sarah, I remembered to take the Cubbies to the Wall!):



-Tiennamen Square and the Forbidden Temple: A historic site in Beijing, my expectations were all over the place. I didn't know whether it would seem oppressive, or nostaligic with all of the history, or just intimidating. But it was none of those. It was absolutely beautiful. The architecture was phenomenal, and it was a sight to behold.





I apologize to my readers who consistently stay with my blog, I have had a crazy couple of weeks since getting back. This was by far one of the best trips of my life and I've only been here for 2 months. I look forward to my next adventure, and Dad's next story for my life!


Until the whole world hears...

No comments:

Post a Comment